Last update: November 11, 2021
As the owner of the e4YOU Website, the Bioinformatics, Intelligent Computing Systems and Educational Technology Research Group of the University of Salamanca (hereinafter, BISITE-USAL or BISITE), we are committed to ensuring the protection of your personal data and preventing its misuse. By providing us with your personal data and using our Website, we assume that you have read and understood the terms relating to the protection of the provided personal data and that, therefore, you agree with them.
BISITE-USAL assumes responsibility for complying with current national and European data protection legislation (General Data Protection Regulation -Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April 2016, GDPR-) and is committed to treating your data lawfully, fairly and transparently.
Remember that you can always contact us by e-mail at help@e4YOU.org, for help and any questions you may have.
- Identification of the data controller (or its representatives) or processors: who is responsible for the processing of your data as a user of the e4YOU Website?
- Reporting on the record of the processing activities: What data do we process about you? How do we obtain your data and where does it come from? How do we protect your data? Is there any age limitation for using the e4YOU Website?
- Reasons for data collection: Why and for what purpose do we use your data?
- The period of time for which your information is kept in our databases: How long do we keep your data?
- If the information is to be transferred to third parties: Who has access to your data (besides e4YOU)?
- Ways for the user to exercise the rights of Access, Rectification, Deletion, Limitation of processing, Portability and Opposition: What are your rights and how can you control your data?
Who is responsible for the processing of your data as a user of the e4YOU Portal?
e4YOU is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Collaborator or Partner is responsible for the privacy practices of e4YOU.
Accordingly, each Contributor or Partner will be solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Collaborator or Partner is responsible for the privacy practices of another Collaborator or Partner. e4YOU is also not responsible for the privacy practices of any Collaborator or Partner.
What data do we process about you?
Information about who you are and how you use the e4YOU Website.
How do we obtain your data and where does it come from?
Directly from you or from different public or private institutions with whom we have a legal agreement in which you have consented to us holding your data.
How do we protect your data?
Your personal data and information when using the e4YOU Website are constrained and protected so they do not have any impact on your private life.
Are there any age restrictions for using the e4YOU Website?
You can only use e4YOU if you are over 14 years old.
Why and for what purpose do we use your data?
So that you can enjoy all that e4YOU has to offer, to inform you of the features of the Website and the specific offers we have for you, as well as to ensure that you can obtain a certificate if you wish.
How long do we keep your data?
We process your personal data until the moment you unsubscribe from e4YOU. In case you purchase a paid certificate (e.g., a certificate of completion), course or program, the data is kept for five years. Please note that once we delete your data, we will no longer be able to retrieve your academic history or record, nor that of the courses or programs, nor that of the diplomas you obtained.
Who has access to your data (besides e4YOU)?
In addition to e4YOU, our suppliers and partners have access to your personal data. The access to your data that we provide to these third parties is always for lawful purposes and only for the period of time strictly necessary.
What are your rights and how can you control your data?
Access, rectify and delete your data, as well as other rights and management options are available.
Who is responsible for the processing of your data as a user of e4YOU?
BISITE-USAL, owner of the e4YOU Website, is responsible for the processing of your data as a user of e4YOU:
Bioinformatics, Intelligent Computing Systems and Educational Technology Research Group of the University of Salamanca, with TIN Q3718001E and registered address for these purposes at Edificio Multiusos I+D+i, Calle Espejo s/n, 37007, Salamanca, Spain.
The email address of BISITE-USAL in relation to this Website is: help@e4YOU.org
What data does e4YOU collect about you and how or from where do we obtain it?
The information we have about you includes information about who you are and how you use e4YOU's services and we primarily collect it directly from you and only if you voluntarily choose to do so.
We remind you that the personal information you directly provide us with must always be true, accurate and up to date. We will provide you with the tools you need to update or correct your information.
We may also obtain information about you from public or private institutions with which we have a legal agreement and to which you have given your express consent for us to have your information.
Similarly, we may also obtain statistical data about our courses or programs, or other products or services offered through interview processes or questionnaires that we conduct with various applications, such as SurveyMonkey, Mailchimp or similar. Answering this type of questionnaires is and will always be optional, but your opinion will help us keep improving e4YOU constantly.
Finally, there may be information about you provided by Paypal so that we can properly manage the payment services and give you timely response in case of incidence in the purchase of these services. In case the course is not paid with Paypal, we will also have the information that you provide us with about the account from which you made the payment.
E4YOU collects information directly when you:
- sign up for an e4YOU user account and create an e4YOU user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (e.g. Certificates of Completion);
- send e-mail messages to e4YOU (including messages received through customer support services, such as FAQ's);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participates in public forums, webinars and other interactive experiences on the e4YOU Website.
e4YOU does not collect or store bank account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the e4YOU Website, for example, a Certificate of Completion, you will be directed to e4YOU's third party payment processor and e4YOU's third party identity verification service provider. If you do not want to submit the required authentication or payment information, you will not be able to obtain a certificate through the e4YOU Website.
e4YOU requires your personal information only in certain cases, when you:
- create an e4YOU user account (username, email address, first and last name(s));
- purchase a Certificate of Completion (so that e4YOU's third party provider can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that e4YOU's third party provider can process your payment);
- participate in online teaching or other course delivery processes (so that the e4YOU third-party provider can monitor and evaluate the integrity of your course activity); or
- obtain a Certificate of Completion (the certificate will have your name on it; the certificate may also contain a personal identification number or equivalent - e.g., National Identity Card (DNI) or Passport number - only if you provide this number).
As e4YOU links the information it collects, directly or indirectly, to an individual (e.g., you), the information is associated with the individual's Personal Information in their account profile (e.g., with your profile).
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the e4YOU Website, for example:
- in your e4YOU account profile (where you may display a limited or full profile to the other users of the e4YOU Website);
- when applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar or other interactive experience on the e4YOU Website (noting that, in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance to the e4YOU Website or a course).
Partners and/or Collaborators do not receive your Personal Information unless you enroll in a course offered by them. If you enroll in a course, the Partner, and/or Collaborator offering the course will receive Personal Information from your e4YOU account profile plus information that e4YOU collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
Hence, the information we have about you includes data relating to who you are and how you use e4YOU's services. Specifically:
- Basic information about who you are: first name, last name(s), email address.
- In addition, you may voluntarily complete your profile by including city, country, profile picture or photo, biography, institution, among other optional information, which, according to your choice, you can make visible or invisible to other users.
- In turn, if you purchase a certificate of completion (so that e4YOU's third party provider can authenticate your identity) or other paid product or service (so that e4YOU's third party provider can process your payment), we will ask you for your address and identification document, as well as any other information necessary for the issuance of the corresponding invoice and/or diploma. In case the course is not paid with Paypal, we will also have the data you provide about the account from which you made the payment.
- Finally, information about how you use e4YOU services: courses or topics of interest, when and where you use e4YOU, with which devices and/or operating system, the network from which you connect or if you have not accessed e4YOU for a long time.
Why and for what purpose do we use your data?
We use your data to provide you with the best possible service from e4YOU and to provide you with a training offer that is tailored to your own interests. We also use it for other legitimate purposes such as communicating with you, knowing how you use e4YOU or even to comply with certain legal obligations that apply to us.
In particular, we process your data to for the following purposes:
- So that you can enjoy e4YOU and all its functionalities (services offered). This purpose includes the continuous improvement of the functionalities offered or the customization of the e4YOU Website, through the application of new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence or Blockchain, among others, that are supported by e4YOU, and its Partners and Collaborators, in order to improve the learning experience of its users, thereby seeking to adapt to their personal interests and needs.
- Support scientific research and innovation, seeking to meet the goal of providing an education platform open to all, where to test, promote and develop research on the application of disruptive technologies such as Blockchain, in combination with others such as Artificial Intelligence, which provide solutions to the great challenges of the education of the present and the future. This objective is included in our manifesto in the "About Us" section, for further information for all users.
- To communicate and be in contact with you in order to inform you about our products and services through various channels such as email, SMS or the e4YOU app itself. To be transparent with you, we want you to download and register on e4YOU (if you have not already done so), as well as to make you feel satisfied with the e4YOU services, help you learn about them and use them actively.
- To know how you use e4YOU products and services to:
- Detect trends and correlations in order to understand and predict the use of those services and your needs as a user.
- Make better business decisions, such as improving e4YOU products and services and your experience or making communication activities more useful to you and all of our current and future users.
- To elaborate reports showing data on the evolution of the number of active users or how certain functionalities are used.
- Check if you have performed a specific action on e4YOU.
- Monitor compliance with our service quality levels (for example, to debug and detect errors).
- Prevent and detect fraudulent, malicious or illegal activities (especially when this may affect other users).
- Conduct surveys in order to know your opinion regarding e4YOU or its services and functionalities.
- Exercise, enforce and comply with legal rights and obligations: this includes responding to subpoenas, court orders or other legal process; and investigating, preventing or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or protecting the rights, property or safety of e4YOU, its Partners, and/or Collaborators or others, as required by applicable law. In particular, it includes:
- Cooperating with and responding to the orders or requests of the authorities.
- Denouncing or bringing to the attention of the authorities fraudulent, malicious or allegedly illegal actions.
- Defend ourselves against lawsuits, complaints and/or claims of any kind.
- To guarantee the physical, network and information technology security that we use to provide you with our services and products.
- In case the certificate or course has a price and is not paid with PayPal, we will check if the payment confirmation contained in the document or file, digital or physical, that you have attached, matches the deposit received, which must be equivalent to the exact price of the certificate or course.
We use your personal data for the above purposes on the basis of (legal grounds):
- Execution of the contract. We need your personal data in order to provide you with the service, so that you can enjoy e4YOU and its functionalities. In addition, when you make a payment, we need to verify that it corresponds to the price of the certificate or course.
- Legal obligations. We need them to comply with certain legal and regulatory obligations, and to respond to requests from authorities.
- Legitimate interest. Some of the purposes are necessary for e4YOU's legitimate business interests, although you can always object to them (for example, to communicate and be in contact with you to inform you about our products and services).
- Consent. This is because you have given us your permission to process your data for certain purposes (for example, the permissions you grant during registration so that we can access information from your terminal or electronic device)
For how long do we keep your data?
As regards your profile and related personal data, we keep them until you unsubscribe from our services. In case you have made a purchase of any of our certificates or courses, the personal data and billing data related to such a purchase are kept for five years. There are certain reasons why we may keep your data, but we will only keep and process it for as long as it is necessary for the purposes stated under the heading "Why and for what purpose do we use your data" of this policy. The specific retention period will depend on the type of data and what it is used for and why.
In general, we will cease to retain your personal data as soon as it is no longer needed to continue to provide the e4YOU service to you. However, there are some exceptions to this general rule, which are described below.
In particular, there are some purposes that continue even after you leave e4YOU. Thus, we need to continue to keep some information about you and how you used e4YOU in order to:
- Keep a history of how you used e4YOU.
- To comply with certain legal data retention obligations applicable to e4YOU.
- Collaborate with the authorities and respond to their requests for information.
- Defend ourselves against lawsuits, complaints and/or claims.
- Prevent fraud, abuse or illegal actions.
- Prove and verify that you had an e4YOU user account.
However, during this additional period of time we will implement a number of actions, measures and protections to ensure the safety of your information and privacy. Such actions may include, for example, functional separation, pseudonymization, and/or encryption of your data and information. In turn, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is rectified or deleted when it is inaccurate.
Who has access to your data (besides BISITE-USAL)?
In addition to BISITE-USAL, our suppliers, collaborators and partners may have access to your personal data, as well as the authorities with which we collaborate. We provide these third parties with access to your data only for lawful purposes and only for the period of time strictly necessary.
We need to share your data with specific third party providers, collaborators and/or "partners", which we indicate below, always in relation to the specific purposes for which we process your data, described under the heading "Why and for what purpose do we use your data?", and for the period of time strictly necessary.
In particular, this involves giving access to your data to:
- Collaborators and/or partners who offer their courses on the e4YOU Campus or campus.e4you.org, and their lecturers (teachers). They can only access the data of users who have enrolled in their courses, within the Campus. In connection with this access, application, processing and use of user data, collaborators and/or partners who have uploaded courses on the Campus and their lecturers (teachers) may access all personal data registered on the Campus by users enrolled in the courses. Consequently, they will be able to access information such as name and surname, and email; and if provided, also the location (city, country), profile photo or image, biography, and institution. Access to data is granted to enable lecturers (teachers) to correctly manage and teach the course in which the user is enrolled.
- Our suppliers, as well as the companies they subcontract, who help us to provide you with e4YOU services, to communicate with you, as well as to carry out surveys and to find out how you use e4YOU. Some of these providers may be able to process your data from the United States and, in such cases and to the extent that this involves a transfer of your data to that country, their services, infrastructure, systems and/or tools will always be contracted by BISITE-USAL, subject to the requirement of the maximum and most appropriate guarantees applicable in each case and in accordance with European regulations.
- Authorities (for example, state security forces or judicial bodies), national and/or international, that require legal access to your information, as well as, where appropriate, to other authorities with whom we need to share your information to defend ourselves against possible lawsuits, complaints and/or claims of any kind, as well as to inform them of fraudulent, malicious or allegedly illegal actions.
In any case, BISITE-USAL always guarantees the highest level of protection in the access that these third parties have to your data and information, for example, by reaching data processing agreements with them or by establishing appropriate measures of safeguards to ensure the confidentiality and secure processing of your data.
What are your rights and how can you control your data?
The regulations give you a number of rights in relation to the data and information we process about you. Specifically, the rights of access, rectification, deletion, limitation, opposition, portability, as well as not to be subject to automated decisions and to withdraw your consent at any time. Some of these rights may be exercised directly through the e4YOU website and others you will have to write to us to exercise them at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You can exercise the following data protection rights against BISITE-USAL:
- The right of access: the right to request a detailed description of the data we have about you and of how we process it, as well as the right to obtain a copy of it.
- The right of rectification: the right to rectify your inaccurate or erroneous data, as well as to complete those that are incomplete.
- The right of deletion: the right to request the deletion or suppression of your data and information in certain circumstances. However, please note that there are certain occasions in which BISITE-USAL is legally entitled to continue to retain and process your data (for example, to comply with a legal obligation to retain data).
- The right of limitation: the right to restrict or limit the processing of your data in certain circumstances (for example, if you apply for the deletion of data but, instead of deleting them, you prefer that we block them and process them only for the purposes of their conservation because you will need them later to file a claim). Again, please note that there may be times when BISITE-USAL is legally entitled to refuse your request for data restriction.
- The right to object: the right to object to the processing of your data by BISITE-USAL for a specific purpose, in certain circumstances covered by the law and related to your personal situation. In some cases, we provide you with simple options to object to this directly through the app (for example, opposition to receiving commercial communications sent by BISITE-USAL) and in other cases you must contact us via email so that we can evaluate your request in detail.
- The right to data portability: the right to receive your data in a commonly used format that allows you to transfer it to another institution, entity or company, as well as, where appropriate, to request BISITE-USAL to transmit it directly to that other institution, entity or company when it is technically possible.
- The right not to be subject to automated decisions: the right to object to being subject to a decision based solely on automated data processing (without human intervention), including profiling, that produces legal effects on you or affects you in a meaningful way.
- The right to withdraw consent at any time: the right to withdraw your consent at any time to the processing of your data for a specific purpose, where it is based on a legitimate basis.
You can check the full scope and detail of these rights on the website of the Spanish Data Protection Agency (AEPD).
To do so, it is important to bear in mind that:
- When you exercise a right that you cannot process directly through the Campus, you must provide a copy of your official identity document (e.g., ID card, NIE or Passport) and, whenever possible, send your request from the same email address you used to register with e4YOU.
- In the event that you decide to exercise any of these rights through a representative, it will be necessary to provide in the request the supporting documentation of such status (for example, in the case of a voluntary representative, you may provide the power of attorney containing powers that allow the exercise of such rights on your behalf).
- Requests to exercise rights should be as specific and detailed as possible, indicating the specific right to be exercised.
- You may exercise your right to oppose the receipt of commercial communications in several ways: for example, you may opt out of receiving e4YOU's mailing list (newsletter or mailing list), as well as any other type of commercial communication, by exercising this right through any channel from e4YOU, simply by sending us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, remember that you also have the right to file a complaint with the Data Protection Control Authority, the Spanish Data Protection Agency, especially if you feel that e4YOU has not complied with your data protection rights.
How do we protect your data?
BISITE-USAL guarantees the security, secrecy and confidentiality of your data, communications and personal information by adopting the most demanding and robust security measures, and by providing you with tools and functionalities that enable you to control the access to your e4YOU account.
BISITE-USAL is concerned about ensuring the security, secrecy and confidentiality of your data, communications and personal information. Therefore, as part of our commitment and in compliance with current legislation, we have adopted the most demanding and robust security measures and technical means to prevent loss, misuse or unauthorized access.
In addition, we are committed to act quickly and responsibly in the event of your data security being compromised, and to inform you if relevant.
What should you be aware of when using e4YOU?
When using the e4YOU Website, you must take into account certain aspects relating to the minimum age for using e4YOU services, the quality of the data you provide us with, as well as the deletion of your user account.
In particular, we recommend that you take the following aspects into account when registering and using e4YOU:
- Minimum age of use: in order to register and use e4YOU you must be at least 14 years of age. Therefore, by registering with e4YOU, you warrant to BISITE-USAL that you are at least 14 years of age. We may contact you at any time to verify whether you meet this condition.
- The quality of the data you provide us with your personal data, cell phone number and all the information about you that you provide us with must always be real, truthful and up to date. We provide you with the tools and options needed to control and update your personal information (for example, through the "Edit Profile" option in your personal area, user account or profile or by writing to us at email@example.com).
- Deletion of your user account: in general, there may be two situations in which your user account may be technically deactivated:
- When you delete your account on the Campus or voluntarily request us to proceed with the deletion of your user account on e4YOU as explained in the section entitled "What are your rights and how can you control your data" of this policy; or
- When using our services, it is possible that, on occasion, you may visit third-party websites or platforms whose privacy and cookie policies are unrelated to those of BISITE-USAL. When accessing other websites, you will always be aware that you are leaving the e4YOU Website and you will have to decide whether to accept third party privacy policies and cookies.
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES ON THE e4YOU WEBSITE
- depending on your cookie settings, e4YOU tracks information that indicates, among other things, which pages of the e4YOU Website were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- e4YOU may record the IP address, operating system and browser software (including cellular or mobile usage and device type when using e4YOU native mobile applications) used by each user of the e4YOU Website, and/or that e4YOU may determine from a user's Internet Service Provider's IP address and the geographic location of its point of connectivity; and
- e4YOU may track and collect information from emails that e4YOU sends to you, for example, whether you opened the email or clicked on any links in the email.
e4YOU also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the e4YOU Portal, how you interact with e4YOU's social networks, and how you found e4YOU or may be referred to the e4YOU Website. Each Collaborator and/or "Partner" may use separate tracking technologies within their courses and email communications, to understand their activity within a course, and how they find or may be referred to a course on the e4YOU Website.
- Where necessary for system administration, security and integrity in order to ensure that the e4YOU Website functions properly for you. Without these technologies, the e4YOU Website cannot function properly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help e4YOU, Collaborators and/or "Partners" collect information about how visitors use the e4YOU Website and monitor the performance of the e4YOU Website and improve your experience by recognizing and remembering if you have previously visited the e4YOU Website and may have personal preferences; and
- to support marketing activities by enabling e4YOU, Collaborators and/or Partners to deliver content on the e4YOU Website that is relevant to your interests and external sites based on how you interact with advertisements or content from e4YOU or Collaborators and/or "Partners". e4YOU, Collaborators and/or Partners use their own cookies, i.e., cookies served by e4YOU or an individual Member, and also "third party" cookies, i.e., cookies managed by third parties that help e4YOU and the Collaborators and/or "Partners" track this information.
It is important to remember that you have some options for managing cookies and other tracking technologies. These include, among other possibilities, those of:
- Modifying your browser settings: you should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts cookies by adjusting your privacy and security settings. The "help" function in the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies. If you reject e4YOU cookies, many features and benefits of the e4YOU Website may not function properly.
- Opting out of the tracking and advertising of e4YOU third party suppliers, Collaborators and/or Partners: some of the suppliers used by e4YOU or any of its Collaborators and/or Partners offer the possibility to opt out of their tracking by following the processes described on their websites. A list of such third parties is maintained and available on the e4YOU Student Help Center and includes, for example, links to applicable opt-out processes. Neither e4YOU nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of third party opt-out choices.
More information about e4YOU can be found in the General Terms and Conditions Section of this Website.
Cookies are files that websites store in the browser of the user who visits them. They are needed to provide web browsing advantages in the provision of interactive services. More specifically, they are unique identifiers, usually in the form of small data files, that are installed on your device and send certain information about your activity to the e4YOU Website or in an e-mail communication to e4YOU or the authorized third party that served the cookie or cookies. e4YOU or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
The e4YOU Website comprises all the content and pages contained within the e4YOU.org web domain and all e4YOU's mobile applications.
Collaborator and/or Partner is, in the case of legal entities, any prestigious university or educational institution; any prominent or leading company, partnership or corporate entity; or leading national or international governmental institution; or in the case of individuals, a leading or prestigious academic, manager, or administrator, who offers courses on the e4YOU Website.
Personal information is information that specifically identifies you or, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking technologies are a range of digital technologies that enable the generation of unique identifiers that are used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
A Certificate of Attendance is a certificate showing that you have successfully completed your e4YOU course, having passed the set of evaluation tests. It certifies topics and dates. This certificate is issued only in digital format.
Certificate of Completion is a certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your e4YOU course or program, having passed the different evaluation tests and proving the fulfillment of the requirements defined for obtaining it. Consequently, it certifies subject matter and content, dates and duration (teaching hours). This digital certificate may also be offered, at the request of the user and upon payment of the corresponding fees, in different forms, including issuance on paper, postal delivery or the Hague Apostille.